The First generation of Samsung Gear Smartwatches were a huge success considering it was the first time manufacturers such as Samsung were venturing into the field of smartwatches and much has been learned from the experience, thus Samsung has followed up on its previous success by creating the much anticipated and highly coveted Samsung Gear 2 Smartwatch which we will be doing a hands on review of today.
What is a Smartwatch?
A smartwatch much like your Smartphone is a watch which capabilities have been bumped up a notch from the traditional roles and abilities that a device such as a watch can normally do. For example traditional watches were used for keeping time and date and that was about it.
Smartwatches takes the concept of the watch and brings it into the 21st century by making it into a all in one device that has the ability to: make calls, send and receive texts, take pictures, play games and just about anything that a smartphone can do conveniently on your wrist.
Samsung Gear 2 Smartwatch review
The Samsung Gear 2 Smartwatch features a number of innovative features, innovations such as: Personal Fitness tracking with a integrated heart rate monitor, S Health and tracking of your daily fitness goals, Mobile music for your enjoyment right from your wrist, Convenient and instant notification to your smartwatch,ability to capture picture plus record video and best of all the ability to make and receive calls.
This device will work with the Samsung Galaxy S5, Galaxy Grand 2, Galaxy Note 3 and the Note 3 Neo, Galaxy note 2, Galaxy S3 and S4, S4 active, S4 zoom, S4 Mini, Galaxy Mega, Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 version), Galaxy Note Pro, Galaxy Tab Pro and much more devices as time progresses.
The screen on the Samsung Gear 2 is a gorgeous sAMOLED 1.63 inch DISPLAY that are known to be super vibrant and beautiful displays. You will have no issues viewing images or notifications as everything is crisp and clear, even if you need the aid of glasses there will be no need to squint your eyes at the screen as it was surprisingly vivid. I must admit I was a bit skeptical as what could actually be conveniently fit into a screen of this size, but Samsung did a brilliant job and I was blown away.
For a small device such as this the sounds this thing puts out is quite loud and I had little to no problems hearing notification or sound when listening to music. The audio was crisp and clear, even taking a pic as the shutter sound goes off you can hear it even if you are a few feet away.
Other Physical Features
1. A built in heart rate monitor much like the one on the Galaxy S5.
2. Dedicated camera for recording 720 p HD video and Pics.
3. Adjustable snap on strap.
4. Microphone and loudspeaker for hands free calling, voice commands and listening to your favorite music.
5. A dedicated home button to wake the device from sleep.
Advantages of the Samsung Gear 2 Smartwatch
One of the biggest selling points of any new piece of technology is in what it brings to the table or how it can make my life better or more convenient:
1. It goes Just about anywhere: basically one of the biggest drawbacks of modern smartphones is that you cannot take it anywhere. Not the case with the Gear 2, If you are at the beach with friends and need to snap a picture there is no need to worry about the fact that your phone might be stolen if left it on a beach lounge chair as you can take your gear into the water and the snap pics on the sand before and after you leave the water. This is possible as the Gear 2 is IP67 certified and is dust and water resistant.
2. Customize the look and feel: as you would personalize your smartphone home screen with custom wallpapers and apps, you can do the same with the Gear 2 and make it your own. This is also not just a time keeping device, it is your health instructor, calculator, diary and much more.
3. Never miss a notification because your phone was in your pocket and you just did not hear it ring or vibrate. How many times have you missed that important call simply because you were on the go and for the love of peach pie you did not hear or see that notification in time and now you have to be making up for lost time.
4. Hand Free calling: Bluetooth headsets better watch out as there is new competition in the hands free space, Gear 2 allows you to take calls right from the device hands free so you can go ahead and answer that call from your wrist while you drive.
5. On the move you can use voice commands to respond to texts or make calls hands free, talk about convenient.
6. Health and fitness tracker: its like having a personal trainer that’s looking out for you, why pay extra for fitness tracking wen this device does it all and makes this all so convenient for you.
7. This thing is also a music player. You can rock your favorite tunes from the convenience of your wrist. Talk about handy and fun.
8. Now for the Icing on the cake, you can actually change the channel for almost all TV sets from your watch. Guess what you lost the remote for the TV set and it does not matter as you have your Gear 2.
9. Games and other apps can be easily accessed from your wrist, that right you can play simple games from your watch and have handy apps such as a calculator and more right on your wrist.
Hands on Experience
While using the Samsung Gear 2 Smartwatch I found it to be very response and a fun device to have. For one it was killer convenient not having to check the Galaxy S5 every minute that I got a notification or a text, it was simply there on my wrist.
I found the quick features such as the calculator to be quite convenient when needing to actually do some fast calculations. Plus the simple games that can be installed such as PackMan are really convenient as great ways to pass the time when waiting in line and such.
The IR blaster that can be used as a remote was very convenient as we always loose track of the remote around the house, plus there is nothing more fun than walking into a Burger King and messing around by changing the channel a few times and having everyone wondering what the heck is going on. The hands free features and customizations allows you to make the device truly your own after a little bit of tweaking.
You could essentially imitate a digital or a Analogue watch, change the style look and feel of the Samsung Gear 2 Smartwatch with a few key presses.
The Samsung Gear 2 Smartwatch is a new generation of device that is now just moving out of its infancy and into its adult stage and its looking quite good, the Gear 2 has capitalized on the shortcomings of the first generation gear and has come up with a device that is worthy of the admiration of Samsung Galaxy users the world over. If you have yet to purchase a Samsung Gear 2 Smartwatch now is the best time to do so.