It’s another year and as always we have a new set of Samsung Galaxy phones and as such a frequent problem that we tend to have is situations where users tend to get a Black Screen or display,their device Vibrates, Restarts ,their phone is not turning on or it becomes stuck in a boot loop. This has happened to past devices as you can see in our previous popular articles that shows how to fix the issue here, but due to radical redesigns of the Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 edge with its non-removable battery and the way that fix works will not work for the newer Galaxy S6 and possibly other unreleased devices in the new Galaxy line of smartphones so here is an updated version of that fix to have your brand new device working again.
As mentioned earlier if you own a Galaxy S6, S6 edge, Galaxy S7 or any similar device like it that has the built in or none removable battery and the phone shows a Black screen with nothing on the display and sometimes accompanied by sound, flashing notification LED or the capacitive buttons may light up and nothing else, it also may vibrate constantly, be stuck in a contentious boot loop without turning on completely, randomly restarting or plainly not turning on you most definitely are suffering from this common issue that affect Samsung Galaxy devices every generation.
How to fix these Issues mentioned above?
Fixing all the issues that we stated above will require that you follow the steps below and remember they are not guaranteed to work in every situation but its your best shot at getting your device functional again. Also don’t be afraid to try them more than once as they don’t always work the first time:
1. The first thing you will need to do is get a reliable USB cable and connect your Samsung Galaxy S6 to your Laptop or desktop and power down your phone. Now press and hold the power button + the Volume down at the same time and hold for about 20 seconds, you should hear your phone vibrate or turn on. This should do it for some users, if you are still in the same situation move on to the next step in the process.
2. We are going to do the same as above in step 1 while the phone is off but this time while holding the power button + volume up and as always you should feel a vibration or the power on sound. If this did not fix it do try step 3 below.
3. While the phone is off hold the volume up key + the Power button and the Home button all at the same time while the phone is disconnected from the computer.Keep holding it until you see a Green Android on Screen, we should now be in recovery mode with a number of options, use the Volume up and down key to navigate and all you need to do is to select Reboot now which should be the first option and tap power to reboot. This one can normally bring your S6 back up and working but if this fails to go on to the next step.
4. Again you are going to repeat the procedure in step 3 above to get back to recovery mode and this time while you are in Recovery mode navigate to : Wipe cache Partition, use the volume up and down buttons to navigate as usual and then use the power button to select. The option should be the 6th option from the top, also don’t worry this option will not affect the data on your phone in any way when wiped, be sure to confirm the action and then reboot when finished. As usual if that fails then try option 5.
5. This time while the Galaxy S6 is off Hold the Volume down + Power and home at the same time and you will be in a new mode with Warning on-screen, from the option given click on volume down which will cancel and restart your phone.
6. If all else fails you may have a power button issue and it’s basically stuck, in such a case what you will need to do is to give it a firm smack around the power button while the phone is off. Be careful not to damage your phone as only moderate force is needed and what you can use is to smack it in your palm around the power button area or get a soft covered book that can absorb impact and smack it a bit. Also use your fingers to nudge the power button a bit repeatedly and try powering on the phone.
- How to Reflow a Samsung Galaxy Circuit Board to Fix the Black Screen Issue.
- Samsung Galaxy phone display Unresponsive or Black screen Fix
- How to open a Galaxy S6.
Other Things That you can Try if All else Fails:
I know it can be frustrating fixing these issues but a little bit of patience can go a long way and trust me one of these methods usually does work, the trick is to find the one that works for you so here are some other great options:
1. Drain the battery of your phone to 0% percent it will take some effort, when it drains completely be sure to still press the power button and hold to drain any possible residual energy that lingers in the device. Next charge your phone from a completely dead state and attempt to power on again. What this does is like in the past with this issue is to drain all power from the device which is easier than disassembling the device to disconnect the battery. I really don’t know why Samsung switched from a removable battery.
2. Use step 3 above to enter recovery mode but this time you will need to wipe and factory reset your Samsung Galaxy S6, this method is a last resort and be warned that you will lose your data if it’s not backed up but it may be your only option in the end so use this option carefully or think it through first.
So that about every possible solution that you can try, I am sure that one will work in fixing the Galaxy S6 Black Screen,Vibrating, Restarting, Not turning on or boot loop issue that you are having. Do feel free to ask any questions in the comments section and as always be sure to try each method more than once before giving up, I am here to help in any way I can.
thank you so much.. you helped my day..
Really Glad you were able to fix your Samsung Galaxy S6 issue, thanks for commenting.
i tried alls ur step..but it stell stuck on android logo..do you have any idea for fixing it..please help..thank
This fix is mainly for the Black screen problem, if you are stuck on the logo read this article to help.
hello Ricardo, i also tried all your steps but mine is samsung A3 but still i thought if it works but it did not is there any solution for A3 same problem- screen black out . if their is any then please let me know..
Seeing the A3 has a similar design as the the S6 and the Note 5 with a None removable battery this should work for any of those devices. Do try this if you have a SIM card in the device remove it this is very important and do try these steps:
1. Hold power and volume down.
2. If the first step fails hold both volume up and down and power.
If this still dosent work in getting your phone to turn on connect your phone to your PC and repeat the steps.
The only other thing I can suggest as a last resort is to hold down the home button as in some cases this has worked in getting the phones display to comeback from a black screen issue on: Galaxy S6, S6 edge, Note5,Galaxy s6 edge plus or similar devices like the A3. Finally do remember that sometimes these methods don’t work on the first try so do try at least three times each method.
I have tried all the methods up there more times than I can count but my Samsung A5 still has a blank screen.
When I hold down the power and volume-down bottons, the phone acutally vibrates and I hear it come on. I also hear notifications drop but the screen remains blank.
I have a very tiny crack on my screen, but this problem did not start when the phone dropped. It started many days after. It was simply a case where battery ran out and the screen turned black after I charged.
Please any suggestions what might cause this?
If the above is failing for you repeatedly then you might have broken the screen and in such a case it will need to be replaced. It might have been a case where the screened worked for a while and then got inked up due to the crack but it did not happen right away. I have seen it often a phone drops and the screen sometimes has a line that runs across it or a crack and then gradual or very fast the entire screen goes a dark inky black.
This is a bit different from the Black screen issue which I describe above that’s a temporary issue. Both cases can look similar and that why if the above fails after exhausting the tips it might be a broken screen especially if you have a crack.
Hey Ricardo I have a Chinese S6 that giving me problems with porn sites automatically pop up and the whole operating system constantly stop working..I decided to factory reset the phone but after I did the factory reset…I get a permanent black screen. I tried everything. ……can you help?
I have suggested all possible solutions above and they usually work unless its some other issue that looks similar.
I had tried all with my s7 edge.
Still it’s black.the power button is fine because when I press it starts. It restarts with power+volume down key as the light blinks and vibrates but no screen shows up.
Well my friend you can keep trying the methods as they don’t work always on the first try or take it to a repair shop these tutorials require patience and you will need to think on your feet as it does not work the same way in all cases for all users as every case is different.
Hi. I had a similar problem with a Samsung A3. The phone boots up right but the touchscreen was unresponsive. I solved the problem by restarting and making a cache wipe. Thanks for your help!!!
Also thank you for sharing what works for you.
nothing shows on my phone I can hear text messages I can answer my phone if it rings (because I remembered how to swipe to answer) if I knew how to use every app on my phone without being able to see it I could. My screen is just black everything works I just cant see anything Im trying these methods but there is nothing. I cant even see the battery charging when the phone is off or the Samsung logo when the phone is being turned on the only thing that shows up is the light on the top of the phone to the left I have a Samsung galaxy s6 its driving me nuts?
Sorry to hear but that’s a classic Black screen of death. Keep repeating the procedures in the article.
same issue here
Will thever procedures work on the a3 2016 version
It should it worked on many other versions before so why not try it.
Hello Ricardo, I tried your steps but I still have a black screen. I’m able to access my screenshots when the phone is connected to my computer via usb and can see that it on the first menu for doing a factory reset “Select a language” but I can’t select any options as my touchscreen doesn’t seem to be working (the home button/back button/volume buttons works/phone vibrates/has sound). Any suggestions? Do you think it’s an issue with the digitizer?
The digitizer is fine, the method does work but for some reason it does not always work right off the bat so you have to keep repeating the process.
I’ve tried all the tips here, as well as similar ones online, and I still get no logo, no script – my phone vibrates and is obviously on (the “soft keys” on either side of the Home button light up – but only a black screen, no logo or script to scroll through and reset. Thoughts??
my phone is samsung galaxy E5 ,this doesnt turn on or go to boot menu etc……
If it does not come on either try charging or check if you have a battery issue or power button issue.
i do step 3 but then i dont get the screen thing
Then repeat the process until you get something from the display.
Hi, my phone just fell down and it turned black. It’s still working since it vibrates when I take screen shot. I wanna try your method but I can’t turn off my phone since I can’t see it. Need your help pls. Thanks much
thank you. It really worked.
Thanks, Ricardo. My phone hasn’t been working for over a week- and I’ve tried everything! I get the green android SOMETIMES, but then the screen goes black- I can do nothing. I’m so bummed.
Sorry to hear, this method will work for most and revive your device the thing is there is no telling when it might work 100% it a hit and miss situation.Give it a break and try again later.
ok so i still dont have the right information even though I have spent hours looking for a fix that works when my phone is on and i cant see anything because the screen is black. Samsung S6 Active battery is sealed. Doing a hard reboot doesnt work because I cant turn the phone off. Any ideas? I would be eternally grateful.
You are genius. You save our vacation with my boyfriend
So happy to hear that I know how annoying these issues can be especially when you are on vacation. Especially when you want to take some great pics.Enjoy the rest of your vacation Mina.
Hi Ricardo, I tried to follow all the steps but it did not work for me. I have a Samsung galaxy s6edge plus, everything was fine until i tried to charge it. i plugged it in and after about 15 minutes the Screen did not respond. I can hear the notifications and the vibrations from the phone, i can even see the led light at the top, but the Screen is black. sometimes when i try to press the home button only some White and/or green stripes Flash at the top of the Screen. I tried to reboot it multiple times but nothing at all happened, the phone does not respond, it onlz responds when i press the home button once in a while. it did not drop the phone so i have no idea of what could be wrong. i have been trying for about one hour now, and only once (and only for a few seconds) the Screen went back to normal.
I understand the frustration Mia but the only advise I have is the one written here, the sad thing is that you may need to try these steps several times over and over until you get results.
Hi! Did you ever get your phone to work? Mines is doing the same exact thing. I have been trying for the past 12hrs to get it to work. I am surfing the web looking for answers and tips, and nothing has worked so far!
I am really frustrated, and worried. Mines is a S7.
hi sir ricardo i cant even operate the recovery mode because of blank screen! what should i do?
Only as I indicate in the article the idea is to place the phone in that mode to hopefully trigger the display to start working again.
How to get rid from this black screen problem forever ? Is it possible ? Because this happens evertime when i lock my phone and it takes to much time. Sometimes it continues for 7-8 hours.
tried all of the above still no joy
Hi, just tried all the options a couple of times but screen is still black. It will accept calls but I cannot see anything to except them.
my phone was stuck in a loop over night, I tried step 2 & 3 worked a treat NO data lost thank you
Thank you so much for the tips. I was able to fix my friend’s Samsung J7 Prime. Now she can still back up her stored data. I got to Option 5.
Thanks! It actually worked.
Very happy it did, all the best.